Electronic waste (or e-waste) is the fastest-growing waste stream in the world. And, unfortunately, the majority of our e-waste still ends up in landfills.
According to the UN’s Global E-waste Monitor 2020, 53.6 million metric tons of e-waste were generated worldwide in 2019, up 21 percent over the previous five years. And the problem is only expected to get worse if we don’t make some changes.
Repowered is committed to being part of that change with certified e-waste recycling.
Since we opened our doors in 2011, we’ve recycled more than 39 million pounds of e-waste, and we need YOUR help to reach 40 million pounds!
Why Proper E-Waste Recycling Is Important
Electronics contain toxic materials, such as PVC plastic and hazardous chemicals, as well as heavy metals like lead, mercury, and cadmium. In a landfill, these toxic substances can contaminate soil and groundwater, affecting people, animals, and plant life.
While the electronics recycling industry is growing, less than 20 percent of the world’s e-waste was being recycled as of 2019. That’s why it’s so important to recycle your old electronics.
When you do recycle your e-waste, it’s vital that you do so only with a certified electronics recycler. Here’s why:
The electronics recycling industry is largely unregulated. There is a severe lack of legislation at both the federal and state levels, leaving a huge margin for the improper disposal of e-waste. Not only does this mean toxic materials end up in our soil and groundwater, but it also leaves the door open for the theft of massive amounts of sensitive personal and corporate data.
If you work with a recycler who isn’t certified, you never know if your e-waste is being recycled properly or if the right data security protections are in place. To keep your sensitive information safe and ensure your e-waste is recycled in an environmentally sound manner, choose an electronics recycling partner that is certified.
Stay on top of what’s happening in the electronics recycling industry and at Repowered by joining our list!
How You Can Help Us Reach Our Goal
Since Repowered’s opening, we have recycled about 39.5 million pounds of e-waste, and we’ve got our eyes set on 40 million pounds. But we need your help to get there!
There are several ways you can help:
- Schedule a Pickup. Many customers qualify for our free pickup option, based on the number of laptops or desktop computers they are recycling with us. (Contact us to discuss your needs and learn if you qualify for pickup services.)
- Drop off your unwanted tech. Those who don’t qualify for free pickup can visit one of our drop-off locations. (Note that Ramsey County residents can drop off items for FREE at our Saint Paul location!)
- Host a recycling collection event. We partner with local businesses and organizations to host recycling collection events as part of a customer appreciation, employee perk, or community action initiative. To date, we’ve successfully held over 400 collection events!
- ITAD Partnership. We’ll customize an asset management plan that meets your corporate objectives, keeps your company fully compliant, protects your sensitive data, and ensures recycled components are processed responsibly.
When You Recycle With Us, You Impact Lives
Recycling your e-waste with Repowered impacts both the planet and people. In fact, every time you recycle with us you impact a life.
At Repowered, we believe that everything and everyone has value. Each year, we provide hundreds of thousands of employment hours, nearly a million dollars in wages, and practical work experience for adults facing barriers to employment, preparing them to be more valuable employees with bright futures. Many of the people we work with have experience in the criminal legal system or are in recovery from addiction.
Our impact includes:
- Extensive job training that leads to living wage employment
- Responsible electronics recycling and refurbishing that lessens the harmful effects of pollution in our environment, and
- Refurbished electronics that make technology affordable for our community.
To help us reach our recycling goal, care for our planet, and impact the lives of many, consider taking part in one of the ways to help listed above. And if you have questions or would like to talk further about your e-waste recycling needs, give us a call at 612-294-0578!