Managing risk in your organization is crucial, and IT asset disposition (ITAD) is a huge part of that…or, at least, it should be.
If you don’t yet have an IT asset management plan, it’s time to create one. And partnering with a strong ITAD vendor is an irreplaceable component of a successful plan…especially if your in-house team doesn’t have the capacity to manage every aspect of your IT equipment’s life cycle on their own.
But outsourcing ITAD can be a hard sell if your company leadership doesn’t understand the value of it. If you’re wondering how to sell ITAD to your boss, we’ve got you covered. Read on to learn the importance of ITAD and how to convince your company leadership that your business needs it.
Why Is ITAD Important? 5 Benefits of ITAD
The best way to sell ITAD to your boss is to clearly communicate how your organization will benefit from it. When you work with a reputable ITAD partner, you protect your company in five main risk areas: data security, legal compliance, financial returns, and environmental and social impact.
1. Data Security
Cybercrime is on the rise. Last year, the incidence of cyberattacks on corporate networks reached an all-time high, up 50% over the previous year.
IT asset disposition helps protect your business from data breaches.
When done incorrectly, disposing of IT assets that contain sensitive data can leave you vulnerable to data security risks. When old electronics are stashed in a storage room with their hard drives intact, your data could be exposed to theft. And when they’re brought to a typical recycling center (or worse, thrown in a landfill), your data can be exposed there as well.
Partnering with an ITAD vendor helps you mitigate those risks and protect your sensitive data.
A reputable ITAD partner like Repowered has extensive data destruction processes in place to guarantee that all data on your devices is destroyed before they are refurbished or recycled.
2. Legal Compliance
Data security and privacy regulations are complex, and can vary depending on your industry and the type of data you collect. But what remains constant is that failure to comply with regulations can cost you—both financially and in regards to your company’s reputation.
Working with a certified ITAD partner helps ensure you stay in compliance with state, federal, and international data security and privacy regulations. They will provide a certificate of destruction as proof of the protocols they follow, helping you establish an audit trail for your legal compliance.
Working with an ITAD partner also helps you stay in compliance with federal, state, and local laws regarding the proper handling and disposal of electronics.
3. Financial Returns
Regularly updating your IT equipment is a necessary part of keeping your business running smoothly. But doing so can take up a larger percentage of the budget than most business owners would like.
An ITAD partner can relieve some of the pressure on your IT budget by helping you recover value from your used equipment.
Plus, when your assets reach the end of their life, device-licensed software can sometimes be transferred by your ITAD vendor so you can continue using it. This could add up to big cost savings for your company.
Keep your data safe and your reputation secure by developing an effective, secure and profitable IT asset disposition (ITAD) program for your business! Our FREE GUIDE will show you how!
4. Environmental Impact
Working with an ITAD partner addresses the environmental impact of your equipment that is ready for disposition. When done properly, ITAD helps you maintain environmental stewardship over your IT equipment and make progress toward your environmental goals.
Proper electronics recycling reduces greenhouse gasses, energy consumption, and mining of raw materials. But ITAD vendors don’t just reduce your environmental impact, they also work to create environmental benefits through a circular economy that extends the life of dispositioned assets.
- Refurbish equipment that can be reused.
- Recycle anything that can’t be refurbished.
And a reputable ITAD vendor will ensure their recycling complies with environmental legislation, prevents improper recycling, and keeps harmful materials out of landfills.
5. Social Impact
Similarly, an ITAD partner like Repowered can help you address your company’s social impact and meet your corporate social responsibility goals. Every ITAD vendor’s social impact is different, but here’s a little about how Repowered impacts our local community:
In addition to our proven track record of providing seamless electronics recycling services for businesses and organizations of all sizes, Repowered is also a social enterprise that provides jobs and training for people facing barriers to employment. We believe that everything and every person has value, and that belief fuels everything we do.
How To Determine Which ITAD Partner Is the Right Fit for Your Business
Once you sell ITAD to your boss, you’ll need to find the right partner for your needs. Before you sign up for service from an ITAD vendor, take the time to do a little research. Here are some of the top qualities to look for in your ITAD partner:
- Certifications. You want a vendor who holds the certifications required by your company’s procedures, such as R2 and NAID. Repowered holds both and is also ISO14001 and ISO45001 certified.
- Proven processes for data destruction, proper disposal of electronics, chain of custody, and more. Repowered’s certified processes cover a wide range of areas, including transportation, building security, data protection and destruction, chain of custody, and extensive employee training and screening.
- Experience. The ITAD partner you choose should have experience that backs up their promises. Repowered has 11 years under our belt (with many more to come!). As one of the largest collectors of e-waste in the state of Minnesota, we have processed more than 40 million pounds of electronic waste—all while adhering to the highest standards of data security.
- Facility Security. You want an ITAD partner with a secure facility to ensure the safety of your data until it is destroyed. Repowered’s facility is protected by a 24/7 monitored security system with 80+ HD cameras throughout the facility.
- Employee Training Practices. The ITAD vendor you work with should have sufficient data security training for all access employees. Repowered’s 50+ access employees are extensively trained and prescreened.
- Data destruction certificates. A reputable ITAD partner should provide documentation of data destruction for your records. Repowered provides certificates of destruction and sanitization for your needs.
- Good communication and attentive customer service. Any vendor you partner with should provide you with thorough communication and top-notch customer service. Among the many things our clients say they love about working with us, our communication, customer service, and courteous, professional staff are at the top.